Friday, April 25, 2008

Guess What I Did Yesterday...

I was shot for one of those "Gap Icon" ads for Fall '08.

I was asked about a month ago and it has been so hard to keep from announcing it on the blog.

Talk about an all-star production, Mikael Jansson - Photographer, Karl Templer - Stylist, Trey Laird - Creative Director and Patron of the Arts

As you can imagine I have been running and working-out trying to get in shape for the shoot (didn't help).

If you have seen me around the city looking a little scruffy the last few weeks, its because I was asked not to cut my hair or shave so the hair and make-up would have something to work with when I got there.

During that time a few of my friends asked "what's with the puffy hair?"
"Secret project" I replied - I felt like Tom Hanks while he was shooting "Castaway" and everyone thought he was shooting a Civil War flick (not quite that dramatic but you get the idea)


Mikael Jansson and Trey Laird

The wardrobe room with a small selection of shoes.

When I was teaching myself photography I would rip-out editorials that I really liked from magazines and would study them for angles, use of natural light, settings, etc.
I still have one entire binder for editorials by Mikael Jansson.
As excited as I was just to be in the ad I was equally excited to by shot by THE Mikael Jansson.

My only fear was that I would be a nightmare to shoot.

A photographer shooting another photographer is never easy.

I kept imagining myself throughout the shoot saying "what lens are you using?" , "what's settings are you using?", "why are you lighting that way?", "does my face make my neck look fat?".

I think when I did finally speak to him, all I was able to get out was a very Ralph Wiggum-ish "I like to eat paste" - i kinda kept quiet after that.

Reviewing the images.
I swear that they are not laughing AT the pictures of me, they are laughing WITH the pictures of me.

The review board


Mr. Eugene Souleiman and his skull scissors.
I was going to ask him if he had a name for those special scissors but I was afraid he would say "The Accidental Van Gogh" so I didn't ask.
I usually use Aveda pomade but Eugene used this stuff called Magic Move and it was really great (and tastes much better than paste - crap, I didn't mean to type that out loud).
You can buy it at Ricky's here in NYC.

The other reason I am happy to be in the ads ,this particular season, is quite simple - the Gap is back.
If you look back at the archives to May 2007 I announced it then that signing Patrick Robinson ,to head design, was going to be the move that turned the company around.
With the new delivery thats just hitting the floor now, you are starting to see hints of his effect. The Fall 2008 collection, however, really brings back a strong fashion element to Gap.

It is like having an old friend back.

Read More...

[Source: The Sartorialist]