Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Down to Business: Tori Nichel

Tori Nichel, who grew up in the suburbs of Detroit and graduated from the Fashion Institute of Technology, got her designing feet wet working at Dana Buchman and Kenneth Cole. Just last year she launched her own label aptly named Tori Nichel and Forbes.com has already named her one of the five designers to watch. Tori Nichel gives us the lowdown on how to make it as a young designer in the fashion industry.

1. You're a Detroit native. One would imagine that there isn't much of a fashion scene in Detroit. Is that a fair assessment?! How can an emerging designer who doesn't live in a fashion capitol begin making a name for themselves?
An emerging designer not based in a fashion mecca has to think outside the box, and then buy a plane ticket! Im kidding. Ultimately to have longevity and credibility in fashion you must pay your dues in New York, London, Paris or Italy. In order to succeed in fashion you must have passion, drive, discipline and perseverance.

2. You moved to New York and graduated from FIT (Congratulations!). How did you land a job on the design team at Kenneth Cole?
My first friend in New York, Heather, who is still near & dear to me today was already an assistant at Kenneth Cole. She told me there was another opening and I simply applied. At that early stage it is important for young designers to show their potential & drive.

3. Do you think it is necessary for emerging designers to work under an established label before branching out on their own?
Absolutely. Emerging designers have to realize that working under an established designer brings them credibility and validation later in your career. In school you learn the art of fashion, the history of fashion, the craft and technique of fashion. They dont teach you the business of fashion. You learn that from apprenticing.

4. How did you decide that it was the right time for you to launch your own label? How did you finance the venture?
The timing just felt right in 2006. I had been writing my business plan since 2003. I was meeting the right people, at the right time.


I financed the business with my savings along with one private investor whom is no longer with me but watched me for the past 10 years before investing, and consulting which I continue to do today.

5. Designing obviously comes naturally to you but did you find it hard coping with the business side of the fashion industry? What lessons have you learned?
It was not hard to cope with the business side. I prepared myself well by strategically taking positions that would expose me to the aspects of the business I needed to learn. Even then, the learning process doesnt start until day 1 of business.

Lessons learned, protect your intellectual properties, always work by referrals, and take it one day at a time.

6. How many employees to you have (if any)? How did you hire the people at your label be them permanent staff or experts such as lawyers, accountants etc.? These people are essential when it comes to running a successful business. What qualities do you look for?
I have myself, 2 interns, an amazing support system which includes family, friends & wonderfully supportive vendors. A lawyer & accountant are very essential, but by referral. Ive been blessed, Im surrounded by truly amazing people.

7. The fashion industry is fiercely competitive. Do you think designers, now more than ever, have to strike the balance between being unique and commercial? Is that something you as a designer are cognizant of?
It depends on what the designers ultimate goal or mission is that they want to achieve whether its necessary to be commercially viable. For me, Im in the business of selling clothes. The day I started my business my designer role had to be shared with CEO. So for the Tori Nichel brand, it needs to be a sellable product, desirable to women within the market to which we sell. Its very important to be commercially viable, but designers have to find a way to put their stamp on it. (See pictures from Tori Nichel's Fall 2007 collection below.)

8. Your clothes are impeccably well-tailored and undeniable feminine. What is your design philosophy and inspirations?
Tori Nichel will always be tailored, sexy, chic & polished with a tad 70s influence. I am part of the inspiration. There is a part of me who designs clothing I want to wear but cannot find in the market. Other inspiration comes from art history, influential women in history, architecture and old family photos.

9. Where do you see "Tori-Nichel" in five years?
Tori Nichel will be on the red carpet in 5 years. Tori Nichel will be a brand recognized internationally and will have added leather goods (i.e. handbags) to the product assortment.

10. Is there anything else that you want to add that you think might be helpful advice for I Like Her Style! readers?
Stay humble, be patient, be disciplined, follow your dream and it will lead you.

Tori Nichel on Fall 2007: "Fall 2007 for the Tori Nichel woman is glamourous. The Tori Nichel girl is out to be seen. Every piece must shine, the colors are luscious, black is back, and I wouldnt be myself if I didnt give you a bit of 70s. Until Spring/Summer 2008, lots of love & happiness ~tori nichel"

Credit: Photos courtesy of Tori Nichel.



Read More...

[Source: I Like Her Style!]